>> Thursday, February 3, 2011
Tuesday was my man's birthday. A nice dinner date out plus a babysitter for three kids over multiple hours ran a little steep. Especially when my man knows I'm a vegetarian that can cook a mean steak. This was more affordable option plus it allowed him to eat steak in pajama pants and enjoy a fat slice of the homemade cake...win all around.
Do you want to see the steak? Prepare to drool, carnivores...
Here's how you can make the same beautiful steak, the hunky Tyler Florence taught this vegetarian straight off the telly.
Crusted Filet with Avocado-Tomatillo Salsa
adapted from Food 911
Ingredients for Chimichurri
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 jalapeno, minced
- juice from half a lime
- 1/2 C fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1/2 C fresh cilantro
- 3 T red wine vinegar
- 1/2 C olive oil
- 1 t kosher salt
- 2 avocados, peeled and cubed
- 4 ripe tomatillos, husked, rinsed and diced
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 6 red grape tomatoes, seeded and quartered
- 2 (8-ounce) filet mignon steaks
- Kosher salt and coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 T olive oil
- Combine garlic, jalapeno, lime juice, cilantro and parsley in food processor. Process until finely chopped.
- Slowly drizzle in olive oil and red wine vinegar. Stir in salt.
- Cover and let stand at least two hours.
- Mix together avocado, tomatillos, red onion and grape tomatoes in large bowl.
- Pour half the chimichurri sauce into the salsa and toss gently to coat.
- Preheat oven to 450°. Season filet mignon steaks generously with kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper.
- In a heavy, ovenproof skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat until almost smoking. Pan-sear the steaks, only on 1 side, for 2 minutes until a crust forms.
- Transfer the pan to the oven and roast for 10 minutes or until cooked medium rare.
- Allow meat to rest 5 minutes before cutting in half. Serve crust side up, with salsa and remaining chimichurri.
And this is the yellow/pound cake hybrid with chocolate peanut butter buttercream frosting topped with chopped Reese's Cups I made for my man. Sadly he was so stuffed on dinner he barely had room for a slice.
Happy Birthday, Superior One, I love you.